I have been using  TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router in my Home to connect Wi-Fi devices. It is working fine for few months without any problem. I went to vacation for 7 days and when I back I noticed that my TP-Link router starting showing problem like Unable to resolve DNS Server when I tried to browse any websites.

Initially I thought it is problem with my Internet Service Provider (ISP). So I contacted my ISP (BSNL) to fix this problem. The officer came to my home to see the issue and he told all our settings is fine, and we don’t have any problem with our end.

He first thought there might be problem with my modem itself (don’t get confuse modem with Router).  And we changed that modem, but still problem persist. So he guessed there might be problem with my router itself. This time we connected my Desktop directly from modem by LAN ports (wired connection). This time I didn’t see any problem on my desktop which is not using my TP-Link router to connect internet.

So we guessed the problem is with my TP-Link router. Now officer left, I started fixing this issue.

What I used?

Desktop: In my desktop internet is working fine. It is connected through LAN cable (wired connection) directly from modem and not through TP-Link router. I’m not facing any problem here.

Laptop: Here I’m using WiFi signals from TP-link router to connect internet. Here in this device I’m facing problem.

What Problem I’m Facing with TP-Link Router?

1. When I try to browse any website, at first those website won’t open, when I try to reload/refresh that page again It will open without any problem. I think it is some sort of frequent disconnection from internet.

2. The response time from any site is really high or I can say it as, when I try to open any site it took lot of time to connect that site (you see below the browser it says “Looking for or Resolving… “ sort of messages). It almost take 30 to 40 seconds instead of 2 to 5 seconds (used desktop to check).

3. If you visit any website some images won’t load properly or you will see broken images, sometimes you will see “Unable resolve DNS..” sort of message on some widget.

These are the problem which I faced when I connected to internet with TP-Link router through Wifi (not tested with LAN cable).

How I Fixed Unable resolve DNS Problem on TP-Link TL-WR740N 150Mbps Router:

Even though I fixed this problem on specific model like TL-WR740N router, I guess the process will work almost any company router or model.

I have been trying to fix this issue for almost 2 days. I didn’t find any online resource to fix this issue, so I had to discover this for myself by trying various methods.

Keep backup of your configuration settings before trying to attempt this method.

1. Tried to Reset the router to factory default by using Reset button which is found on TP-Link Router.

Result: Not worked

2. Clean setup by using Resource CD which is offered with tp-link router.

Result: Most of the times works but sometimes didn’t worked. I think problem still persist.

3. I tried to change lot of settings/configuration individually by seeing others settings found on official forum.

Result: Not worked

Then What worked for me?

I was seeing “unable to resolve DNS” errors all around the web, that time I got an idea that there might be a problem with some DNS settings.

So I looked for DNS settings in TP-Link router configuration. Then I found DNS settings in it.

What I did was, I turned ON my desktop and looked for internet configuration by using ipconfig /all on command prompt. I specifically looked for DNS address. I did the same for my Laptop as well.

You will get DNS address under “Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:”  here you look for

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

dns servers ipconfig

I noticed my desktop DNS Servers IP and my Laptop DNS Servers IP’s are both different. So I decided to change my laptop or TP-Link router DNS settings.

How to Change DNS Servers address in TP-Link Routers?

To change DNS Servers IP address on TP-Link router configuration, visit http://tplinklogin.net/ or http://192.168.0.1/ while connecting to WiFi network.

The default username and password will be admin so enter when it asked.

Now navigate to DHCP >> DHCP Settings

tp link dns settings

 

Here you will see Primary DNS and Secondary DNS. In my case both are set to 0.0.0.0 that is the default value.

I changed both the values to values which I got on my Desktop system i.e 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (If don’t know DNS then contact your ISP, they will help you) and click save button after changing. Now it will ask for reboot, reboot it.

This settings fixed my problem.

If you have different problem then try to browse tp-link forum you will get some idea.

If you have any doubts then leave comment, I will replay. If this fix fixed your problem then don’t forget to say thanks on comment.

Video Guide: